Thursday, July 5, 2012

You're my bad habit

Why are 'bad' things always the most delicious ones?
Bad habits
  • Naps that pull you in and sink you into perfect oblivion.
  • Doodling in class (my latest penchant -- writing German names and words in the Devanagari script).
  • Surfing rage comics on my smart phone.
  • My smart phone.
  • Eating that one last morsel of chicken curry even though I know I'm full.
  • Hot chocolate (for when it's cold).
  • Talking to myself.
  • Not being able to decide Indecisiveness.
  • Midnight "epiphanies" that you know are just a way to avoid studying.
  • Venting your anger at the elevator button. (It's like you want to hit the STOP button on something else).
  • Making too many lists.
  • Letting the dishes pile on a little longer than necessary.
  • Slipping into tawdry, remarkably shameless tardiness and running around like a tornado trying to restore the place to some basic accepted standard of cleanliness when you're expecting company.
  • Not letting go easily enough.
  • Thinking too much.
  • Shopping too little.
  • Chai.
  • Stationery.

Life summary - The end of a hectic semester, the beginning of a promising internship, the reevaluation of goals and right this second, almost ground-shaking thunder. I never understood why those kids in The Sound of Music were so terrified by it. Doubt cleared.

Berlin has been hot and humid since a couple of days. Not particularly sunny, but a cloud of heat floating along everywhere you go, making your clothes stick to your skin, emanating hot waves of air from your scalp, making your face sweat and your skin burn. Feels that way, in any case.

On the other hand, I'm enjoying every second of Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children, which I'm currently reading. Next stop, The Little Prince, as soon as Amazon decides to actually send me my copy.

And here is a lovely new venture from a friend of mine who wants to bring an online reading community together. I really love the idea and the enthusiasm that people are already showing. Do take a look!

Thunder and suspense,
The Cyniqueen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Life itself is a bad habit

- Pesto Sauce